This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to identify own learning goals and needs and develop a learning plan and strategies to assist in participation in a vocational or workplace learning environment.
An individual performing these tasks may work with an expert or mentor where support is available if requested.
This unit applies to individuals who use, or are preparing to use, learning skills to complete workplace activities. This includes existing workers and individuals preparing for employment through vocational education and training. This unit should be integrated and contextualised with vocational training to support achievement of vocational competency.
The unit is aligned to, but does not fully address, the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF) learning core skill indicators .01 and .02 at level 2 in the workplace and employment domain of communication.
No licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication.
This section describes language, literacy, numeracy and employment skills that are essential to performance but not explicit in the performance criteria.
Competency is to be assessed in the workplace, a workplace simulated environment or a vocational training context.
Skills must be demonstrated using simple texts or tasks that reflect those typically found in a workplace.
The following resources are to be made available:
- an expert or mentor to provide support to learner if requested
- frequently used word list for learning in the workplace
- own familiar support resources.
- satisfy the requirements for assessors in applicable vocational education and training legislation, frameworks and/or standards, and
- have sound knowledge of the ACSF and performance features of the ACSF level being assessed, and
- have demonstrable expertise, knowledge and skills in the vocational contextualisation and assessment of the core skill, learning, and
- have completed the following or equivalent:
- TAESS00009 Address Foundation Skills in Vocational Practice Skill Set; or
- a higher level education qualification, such as:
- TAE80113 Graduate Diploma of Adult Language, Literacy and Numeracy Practice (and its equivalent TAE70111); or
- Bachelor of Education, Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma of Education, or higher. This may include qualifications relating to TESOL, adult education or vocational education.